Governor Wolf Creates Commission to Find Fair Redistricting Solutions November 29, 2018 Government Reform, Government That Works, Press Release, Redistricting Harrisburg, PA – Governor Tom Wolf is taking action to build on the bipartisan support for making Pennsylvania’s redistricting process more fair and nonpartisan. The governor signed an executive order today establishing the bipartisan Pennsylvania Redistricting Reform Commission and appointed David Thornburgh, president and CEO of the non-profit Committee of Seventy, as chairman.“This commission will bring together diverse experts and citizens to explore ways that Pennsylvania could use policies, technology and data to curb gerrymandering and ensure fair maps,” Governor Tom Wolf said. “There has been significant bipartisan support for bringing more fairness to this process. The goal of this commission is to hear from experts and citizens about what can be done to make this process more fair. The redistricting process should ensure every citizen’s voice is heard in our democratic process.”Executive Order 2018-07 creates the commission that will review non-partisan redistricting processes in other states that reduce gerrymandering, provide opportunities for public comment at community meetings and online, and make recommendations to the governor and legislature for a non-partisan redistrict process in Pennsylvania.“The creation of this commission is an important next step in ensuring that all Pennsylvanians have a chance to be heard on this important and fundamental question of our representative democracy,” said David Thornburgh. “I’m honored to be asked to serve and will do my best to make sure that the commission listens well, encourages a vigorous debate, and comes to conclusions that are thoughtful and fair.”The commission is comprised of 15 members, including two state senators and two state House members. The 11 members appointed by the governor include: Lee Ann Banaszak, Penn State UniversityDr. Damary Bonilla-Rodriguez, Governor’s Advisory Commission on Latino AffairsSusan Carty, President, League of Women Voters of PennsylvaniaKathy Dahlkemper, Erie County ExecutiveCharlie Dent, Former CongressmanAmanda Holt, Lehigh County CommissionerRev. Robert Johnson, Tindley Temple United Methodist ChurchSharmain Matlock-Turner, President, Urban Affairs CoalitionWes Pegden, Carnegie Mellon UniversityDavid Thornburgh, President and CEO, Committee of SeventySecretary of the Commonwealth or designeeThe commission will engage the public, redistricting experts and other stakeholders to make holistic recommendations and emphasize the importance of having elections with integrity and fairness.Earlier this year, Governor Wolf held a series of listening sessions across Pennsylvania to hear from the public about redistricting and gerrymandering after the Pennsylvania Supreme Court overturned the state’s congressional district map. The state Supreme Court enacted a new congressional map in February.In March, the governor introduced his 21st century voting reform plan that includes same day and automatic voter registration, modernizing absentee voting, and enacting campaign finance reform to reduce the influence of special interests in Harrisburg.Governor Wolf has long advocated for improving and modernizing the election and voting process. Upon coming into office, the governor launched online voter registration. More than one million Pennsylvanians have used the system, which makes it easier to register to vote. Governor Wolf’s administration also launched a voter information texting initiative and a program to get high school seniors to register to vote. SHARE Email Facebook Twitter
The home at 27 Petersen St, Wynnum.A POST war home with bay views has sold under the hammer in Wynnum. Nina Adams of Century 21 Adams and Costello said the property at 27 Petersen St sold for $696,000 after a “short and sweet” auction on June 10. “There was a good crowd of about 60-odd people and there were four registered bidders,” she said. The auction began with an opening bid of $600,000. Three of the registered bidders actively vied for the two-bedroom home and the property was called on the market at $685,000. Ms Adams said there was a “bit of a tussle” towards the end between bidders but it was a local buyer who proved successful. More from newsCrowd expected as mega estate goes under the hammer7 Aug 2020Hard work, resourcefulness and $17k bring old Ipswich home back to life20 Apr 2020The Wynnum agent said the new owners would leave the home as is for the time being but planned to knock down the post-war house some time in the future to build their dream retirement home. “The property attracted a lot of interest because it was on a good size block on the top of a hill,” she said. “You would have a view of the bay if you were to build a highset house.” Ms Adams said the Wynnum market was performing well at present. “There are multiple buyers for good quality properties,” she said. “Even at the lower end of the market, we are seeing buyers. We’ve recently sold several properties under $500,000 quite quickly. “Buyers are mainly people looking for a house to live in. The lifestyle (on offer in Wynnum) is the big attraction.”
ELLSWORTH — Local athletes were among the top performers at three track and field meets over the weekend.In Ellsworth on Saturday, Mount Desert Island continued its hot start to the year with a first-place finish on the boys’ side and a second-place finish on the girls’ side. The Trojans set a team record in the 4-by-100 relay with a finish of 44.92 seconds.Sophomore Nate Mason led the way for Ellsworth’s boys’ team with a first-place effort in the long jump and second-place finishes in the high jump and triple jump. Matt Shea finished first in the 3,200-meter run with a time of 10 minutes, 37.89 seconds.Caitlin MacPherson won the 3,200-meter run for the Ellsworth girls, and Emma McKechnie took second in the high jump. Both Ellsworth teams placed fourth.This is placeholder textThis is placeholder textAt Bucksport High School, junior Carter Tolmasoff placed first of 34 finishers for the host team in the 100-meter dash Friday with a time of 11.53 seconds. Nate Sawyer finished third in the 200-meter dash and second in the 400-meter dash for the Golden Bucks.For the Bucksport girls’ team, Ava and Brookelyn Knowles placed a respective first and second in the discus throw. Addie Morrison won the 400-meter dash for the second-place Golden Bucks with a time of 1:08.76.Luke Barnes was the star for Sumner in Bucksport with wins in the 1,600- and 3,200-meter runs. Bryce Coombs (300-meter hurdles) and Logan Carter (800-meter run) were the other individual winners for the second-place Sumner boys.On the girls’ side, Sumner’s Gabby Richardson won the 200-meter dash with a time of 29.64 seconds. Emily Crocker won the 300-meter hurdles for the Tigers, who won the 4-by-100 relay as a team.George Stevens Academy participated in Saturday’s Brewer Invitational Relay Carnival. The boys’ team placed fifth, and the girls took sixth.
FILE PHOTO: Rafael NadalMelbourne, Australia | AFP | Rafael Nadal hopes home fans will still love him after he broke their hearts by completing an Aussie hat-trick at the first Grand Slam of the year.The Spanish world number two has only faced Australians so far at Melbourne Park — and sent all three packing in double quick time.James Duckworth, Matthew Ebden and the nation’s number one Alex de Minaur were all brutally dismissed from the Australian Open as the “Spanish Bull” roared into the fourth round without dropping a set.Told by reporters he might be public enemy number one after his demolition job, the affable Spaniard was taken aback.“What do you mean, popularity going down?” he smiled.“I don’t think so, no, no. My feeling is people here understand the sport. People here love the sport.“I think Australians don’t see me like an opponent. I have been always friend from Australia.” Share on: WhatsApp At least Nadal won’t be exacerbating the situation by making it four Aussie scalps in a row. He faces Czech Tomas Berdych in the last 16 on Sunday, hoping to feel the love once more.“I think the fans appreciate that I feel close to them. I feel a good connection with all the people there.“When I’m on court, I feel the love of all of them, no?,” said the 2009 Australian Open champion.“It is a feeling that is difficult to describe,” added the man who is gunning for an 18th Grand Slam crown.
Mesut Ozil recalled the moment he first met his footballing idol Zinedine Zidane at Real MadridLos Blancos signed Ozil in 2010 following his breakthrough tournament with Germany at the World Cup that summer in South Africa.The former Werder Bremen playmaker was one of Jose Mourinho’s first signings as Real manager with Zidane being promoted into a coaching role in the process as he implemented his changes at the club.Now Ozil has revealed just how intimidated he felt being in the same dressing room as his idol Zidane.“I was really nervous, my hands were sweating but he was really calm and cool and I really enjoyed meeting him,” Ozil told Sky Sports.Zidane reveals Sergio Ramos injury concern for Real Madrid Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Zinedine Zidane has put Sergio Ramos’ availability for Real Madrid’s trip to Sevilla next weekend in doubt after withdrawing him against Levante.“I liked his style of football, always playing with vision and calm on the pitch and to see another player in a better position – he was not selfish.“I was happy to meet him while at Madrid – he was always my idol and I still watch clips of him sometimes before games and how he used to play.”Ozil managed 27 goals and 81 assists in 159 appearances across all competitions for Real before he left for Arsenal in 2013.The German also won a La Liga title and Copa Del Rey at the Santiago Bernabeu.Meanwhile, Zidane eventually became the head coach of Real and led them to an unprecedented three successive Champions League titles before leaving in May.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bmvlth2HVP3/?taken-by=lucydacus News A self-titled EP from the indie supergroup some consider a dream come true is due out in NovemberPhilip MerrillGRAMMYs Aug 21, 2018 – 12:41 pm On Aug. 21 indie singer/songwriters Julien Baker, Phoebe Bridgers and Lucy Dacus announced they will be touring together and releasing a joint album as supergroup Boygenius on Matador Records this November.Julien Baker signed with Matador for her 2017 second album Turn Out The Lights, which reached No. 78 on the Billboard 200. Phoebe Bridgers released her first album in 2017, Stranger In The Alps, on Dead Oceans. Bridgers is best known for her featured spot on Lord Huron’s “The Night We Met,” which reached No. 25 on Billboard’s Hot Rock Songs. Lucy Dacus’ two albums are both Matador offerings, 2016’s No Burden and 2018’s Historian. The trio’s self-titled EP arrives Nov. 9, but Matador has released three tracks to lead the way.The three women will continue their independent tour schedules until Nov. 4, when their joint tour kicks off at the Ryman in Nashville. Dacus is opening and Baker and Bridgers will co-headline the dates. While they plan to play their own material, the door is definitely open for some collaborative supergroup jump-ins as well, a possibility Matador refers to as “another rumor we can’t yet confirm.” The string of 19 appearances wraps up on Nov. 30 at The Wiltern in Los Angeles. Describing their collaborative creative process, Baker said, “Everyone seemed both confident enough to present ideas and fight for their individual vision, but considerate and humble enough to make decisions which ultimately served the song.” What started as one song apiece from the women blossomed into the EP, and the artists’ mutual support and affinity for working together has created what a writer for Nylon dubbed, “the supergroup of my dreams.”Catching Up On Music News Powered By The Recording Academy Just Got Easier. Have A Google Home Device? “Talk To GRAMMYs”Read more Twitter Meet Indie Supergroup Boygenius julien-baker-phoebe-bridgers-and-lucy-dacus-form-boygenius-supergroup Julien Baker, Phoebe Bridgers and Lucy Dacus Form Boygenius Supergroup Email Facebook
Toshiba granted Canon exclusive negotiating rights Wednesday to acquire its medical equipment arm as the Japanese electronics giant’s financial landscape looks pale after a $1.3-billion accounting scandal last year. Canon’s bid to buy one of Toshiba’s prized assets in the healthcare division surpassed Â¥700 billion ($6.2 billion), which the suitors were told to exceed, as per Bloomberg’s sources.Canon’s proposal to buy Toshiba Medical earned the company exclusive rights until March 18, during which the two companies would reach a final agreement, according to Toshiba’s statement quoted by Bloomberg Wednesday. Other suitors for the business, the world’s second-largest manufacturer of CT scan machines, in the second round of bidding included Fujifilm and Konica Minolta, which had joined hands with UK-based Permira, the Wall Street Journal had said earlier.According to Japanese business daily Nikkei, the board members find Canon a suitable buyer for Toshiba Medical not only because of the size of its offer, but also due to the limited overlap between the two companies’ medical operations, which would lead to smoother antitrust proceedings.The publication adds Canon has been keen to explore a new source of revenue in addition to its camera and office equipments. The Tokyo-based camera manufacturer is already present in the medical field, but on a limited scale, with products like retinal cameras. By acquiring Toshiba’s extensive medical unit, Canon can expand into diagnostic imaging equipments such as CT scanners and MRI machines.As the global medical equipment market is expected to grow significantly from Â¥40 trillion in 2013 to cross Â¥50 trillion in 2018, Canon’s investments would be rightly served.”The acquisition of Toshiba Medical will allow Canon to create a new business pillar, on top of cameras and office equipment businesses,” Kazuyoshi Saito, senior analyst at IwaiCosmo Securities, told Reuters. “It might be a little pricey, but will generate profits in the first year. It is more reasonable than Hon Hai paying about the same for Sharp.”As for Toshiba, the deal will help the company rebuild its finances that suffered a major setback from the accounting scandal, when the company had admitted to overstating profits from 2009. Since then, the Japanese tech giant faced record losses and job cuts. The company had projected a loss of Â¥700 billion for its fiscal year ending March.Toshiba’s health care division recorded Â¥409.5 billion worth sales in the last 12 months and an operating income of Â¥23.9 billion, Bloomberg data revealed.
Travelweek Group Thursday, June 22, 2017 Share Tags: Best Western Hotels & Resorts, Promotions PHOENIX — Best Western Hotels & Resorts’ latest seasonal promotion encourages Best Western Rewards (BWR) members to ‘Go. Get. Rewarded.’Now through Sept. 4, 2017, BWR members will earn a US$10 Best Western Travel Card for each night at more than 4,200 Best Western branded hotels worldwide. In addition, AAA/CAA members will earn a $20 Best Western Travel Card for each night.With no limitation to the number of Best Western Travel Cards that each member can earn, members will be able to instantly redeem their Travel Cards and use it towards their next trip, gift it to a loved one, or stack up the rewards and use them for a special occasion.“As we prepare for the busy summer travel season, we are excited to help our loyal guests live out their ultimate vacation getaway, while also putting some money back into their pockets,” said Dorothy Dowling, Senior Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer for Best Western Hotels & Resorts. “We listen to the voice of our customers and tailor our BWR program to provide the value and perks guests are looking for. This summer promotion is a great example of that as it helps alleviate the stress that can come with travel expenses. We look forward to seeing both leisure and business travellers at our properties this summer.”More news: Sunwing to further boost Mazatlán service with new flights from OttawaBWR, which as recently refreshed, is the only loyalty program in the industry where points never expire. Reward redemption begins at a lower point level requirement relative to industry competitors, and free nights earned can be redeemed at any Best Western branded hotel worldwide, with no blackout dates. Additionally, members have access to special rates – up to 10% off on every night and free night redemptions count toward attaining elite tiers. Finally, members are able to earn gift cards from some of the most popular shopping, entertainment, gas, and airline partners.As part of the BWR refresh, members are given instant rewards and gratification on every stay. Additionally, the ‘Status Match…No Catch’ program allows members to instantly have their status matched with other hotel loyalty programs upon enrollment.In addition, elite members are given a choice of a “Thank You” gift or bonus points. Plus, they receive a 10% discount for all free night redemptions. Finally, Best Western hotels provide guaranteed free nights for Diamond and Diamond Select members at properties with availability. Posted by Best Western rewards loyalty members with $10 travel cards << Previous PostNext Post >>