(REUTERS) – Reports of discrimination across all levels of professional soccer in England and Wales rose by 42% last season, despite it was suspended for months due to the COVID-19 pandemic, anti-racism organisation Kick It Out has said.There were 446 reports of discrimination in the 2019-20 season, up from 313 in the previous campaign, while reports of racial abuse increased by 53%. There were also 117 reports of abuse based on sexual orientation – a 95% rise.Premier League teams have sought to highlight racial injustice following the season’s restart in June with Black Lives Matter protests before kickoffs but Kick It Out chairman Sanjay Bhandari said there was still work to be done.“This year the pandemic and the killing of George Floyd turned the world on its head,” Bhandari said.“Football responded positively with clubs increasing their work in the community and with the players symbolising the demand for greater equality of opportunity, by taking a knee.“But beneath the surface, hate and division in society remains a lurking pernicious threat.”Crystal Palace’s Patrick van Aanholt and Wilfried Zaha had called for social media platforms to take stronger action against racism after they were both subjected to online racial abuse.“The FA has made huge strides in recent years to ensure that English football is a diverse and inclusive game, but we know there is more to be done,” Paul Elliott, chair of the Football Association’s Inclusion Advisory Board, said.“We strongly condemn all forms of discrimination and … we investigate all reported forms of discriminatory abuse in English football at every level of the game.”
Published on March 2, 2017 at 10:51 pm Contact Paul: firstname.lastname@example.org | @pschweds Jim Boeheim isn’t afraid to let everyone in an arena know when his team is desperate, when he has no other choice but to change his defense.Then, he turns to the press.It propelled the Orange to the Final Four last year, overcoming a 14-point deficit with 10 minutes left in the Elite Eight. And it’s what has led to three comeback wins in the past month.“At that stage, you’re desperate. You’re just trying to fly around and make a play,” said Syracuse’s head coach. “It’s been at the end of games. … You’re down 10, it’s a desperation situation and you just try to make the play and make something happen. … There’s no other chance but to force a turnover.”The Orange (17-13, 9-8 Atlantic Coast) has trailed by double digits in eight straight games. Outside of a 20-point loss at then-No. 7 Louisville, the contests were decided by an average of 4.3 points and SU went 4-4 in the eight-game stretch. Even in the three games Syracuse lost, the press made it close.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textIn many ways, the full-court press salvaged the Orange’s entire season. Boeheim applies the tactic sparingly and knows a good team can figure out a way to beat it easily once it adjusts. But in short segments, SU has relied on the press to climb back into games in which it previously had no chance.“It catches (opponents) by surprise. They don’t expect it,” freshman forward Taurean Thompson said. “We don’t use it all game and then all of a sudden they take a breath. They’re not ready for it. I don’t think they prepare for it as much in practice.”At the start of the season, Boeheim said his team would likely press more because of the depth he had at his disposal. SU used it in nonconference play to test out what he had. Early on, his players didn’t execute the scheme to his standard.After a season-opening 28-point win over Colgate on Nov. 11, Boeheim said the press was horrendous.“I guess they can’t do it,” Boeheim said when asked why it was ineffective. “Why did Donald Trump become president? I don’t know.”A week and a half later, Boeheim explained Syracuse would need the press at some point later in the year. That’s why he was experimenting in games such as a 42-point win over South Carolina State. Even as late as 14 games into the year, Boeheim cited it as an area for concern. After a 15-point loss at Boston College, he described the press as something “we can’t do.”Two months later, the press is a key reason SU is still in the mix for an NCAA Tournament bid. Instead of playing the nine or 10 players like Boeheim expected, Syracuse uses only six or seven each game as a result of injuries. The starting lineup now consists of four first-year players and a sophomore. Once they meshed together, the press improved, too.Sophomore forward Tyler Lydon attributes the press’ success to the urgency with which he and his teammates play it. Tactically, not much changed from the full-court approach, graduate transfer Andrew White said. Except recently, Syracuse’s press is causing turnovers unlike in the beginning of the year.“I’m amazed at how effective it is and how infrequently they use it,” Pittsburgh head coach Kevin Stallings said. “I wish I could do that is what I’m trying to say.”With SU down 10 against North Carolina State late in the second half, Boeheim flipped to the press from his traditional 2-3 zone. The Orange forced four turnovers down the stretch, pushing the game into overtime and eventually winning.A week later, SU pressed with the same amount of time remaining against Clemson. The Tigers committed three late turnovers and Syracuse won at the buzzer.“They take away the primary pass, they get you in the corner, they take away the second pass to the guy taking it out, they take away the middle pass,” Louisville head coach Rick Pitino said. “You’ve got to attack it quickly or you’re going to be in trouble. It’s an outstanding press.”Georgia Tech head coach Josh Pastner said opponents can’t simulate it in practice. The Orange ranks as the 12th tallest team in the country, per Kenpom.com. As opponents try to play cautiously to protect leads, SU pounces when it should be squirming.Considering Syracuse’s short rotation, playing defense for 94 feet isn’t an option for more than a few minutes at a time. Lydon and White both have played every second in the Orange’s last 10 games. They can only go so far until fatigue sets in.But the infrequency with which Boeheim uses the press is part of what makes it so effective. In short spurts, it accomplishes what it needs to.SU’s hopes of reaching the NCAA Tournament are dangling. But with only one regular-season game left and the ACC tournament remaining, the press is why Syracuse is never out of a game.“We work on it all the time. Every year,” Boeheim said before the season. “We work on our press every year a lot. Almost every practice. And some years we just don’t use it much at all and other years it’s been very important for us.”This year it has been the latter. Comments Facebook Twitter Google+
B&H Athletes at the Winter Olympic Games in Sochi (Russia) will have retro equipments from the Olympic Games 1984 in Sarajevo.They will have on the suits signs of the Olympic Committee of B&H but also the logo “snowflakes” from the Winter Olympic Games “Sarajevo 1984”. The will have three stars on the sleeves of their suits. Three stars represent 30 years from the Olympic Games in Sarajevo, B&H. On the back side of the costumes will be written “Olympic team of Bosnia and Herzegovina”.“We have used the original design of the sports equipments from the Olympic games 1984 in Sarajevo and the Sarajevo designer and artist Samir Plasto has done the redesign”, said Bojan Zec from the PR marketing agency CIP7, responsible for the coordination and implementation of a four year marketing approach OKB&H, tilted “Olympic Family- Celebrating Olympics”.The official promotion of equipments and athletes from B&H that will participate at the Olympics in Sochi will be held at the Olympic Mountains Jahorina and Bjelašnica on 31 January and 1 February at the manifestation of marking the 30th anniversary of the Olympic Games in Sarajevo.(Source: Klix.ba)
FILE PHOTO: Rafael NadalMelbourne, Australia | AFP | Rafael Nadal hopes home fans will still love him after he broke their hearts by completing an Aussie hat-trick at the first Grand Slam of the year.The Spanish world number two has only faced Australians so far at Melbourne Park — and sent all three packing in double quick time.James Duckworth, Matthew Ebden and the nation’s number one Alex de Minaur were all brutally dismissed from the Australian Open as the “Spanish Bull” roared into the fourth round without dropping a set.Told by reporters he might be public enemy number one after his demolition job, the affable Spaniard was taken aback.“What do you mean, popularity going down?” he smiled.“I don’t think so, no, no. My feeling is people here understand the sport. People here love the sport.“I think Australians don’t see me like an opponent. I have been always friend from Australia.” Share on: WhatsApp At least Nadal won’t be exacerbating the situation by making it four Aussie scalps in a row. He faces Czech Tomas Berdych in the last 16 on Sunday, hoping to feel the love once more.“I think the fans appreciate that I feel close to them. I feel a good connection with all the people there.“When I’m on court, I feel the love of all of them, no?,” said the 2009 Australian Open champion.“It is a feeling that is difficult to describe,” added the man who is gunning for an 18th Grand Slam crown.
Authorities in St. Lucie County say they have arrested a 15-year-old for the shooting death of an 18-year-old man.The incident occurred on April 23rd in front of the victim’s home on 900 block of Fra Mar Place.A neighbor told detectives that they heard gunfire around 2:00pm and when they went outside, they found Jeremy Porter laying dead in his yard.In a press conference on Monday, Sheriff Mascara told reporters that the teen suspect went to the victim’s home to conduct some sort of transaction, however, during the transaction, the teen pulled out a gun and shot Porter once before fleeing the scene.Officials has since located the teen and have taken him into custody on a homicide charge.Authorities are also reporting that they are still investigating the incident, and that other arrest may be made.Porter leaves behind a 1-month-old.If you believe you have any information about this case, you are asked to contact St. Lucie County Sheriff’s Office at 772-462-3230, or Treasure Coast Crime Stoppers at 1-800-273-8477.