…utility companies also unpaid…Govt silent on paymentsWeeks after it was reported that employees of the Local Government Commission are owed their January salaries, it has been confirmed that payments are yet to be made and the agency has been strapped in carrying out its work.Speaking with Guyana Times on Saturday, an employee of the Commission related that there have been no engagements with staff about their salaries and no word is forthcoming on how these payments would be made. Adding to that, fees for other services provided such as utilities are still outstanding.“Nobody was paid. No utilities were paid. Nothing. The commissioners are actually grounded. The people are going to work but we can’t do anything about it,” said the source.The Local Government CommissionThis publication understands that these monies are supposed to be signed off by the Permanent Secretary, Emil Mc Garrell, of the Communities Ministry before it can be disbursed. However, it also needs to be approved by the Communities Minister, Ronald Bulkan.Since payments during early December, staffers have not received any payments to which it was insisted that these monies should have already been disseminated.“They went through the details of the budget, both the Finance Ministry and the Local Government Commission. It was approved but the voucher wasn’t signed off so nobody received any money since the first part of December when payments were last made. Given from the fact that they paid very early in December, this money should’ve already been in. Apparently, this money is still administered under the Permanent Secretary and he still has to take instructions from Bulkan before singing them,” the employee had revealed.It was claimed in previous reports that the Commission is a constitutional agency but there is some control from the Ministry, which hinders some operations.“This is preventing the Commission from operating as a constitutional body. The Commission has to deal with appointments and dismissal and a host of things that the Minister would usually do. They have not recognised the Commission as a constitutional body. The Communities Minister still wants to be in control of the Local Government Commission.”Letters were penned to the Attorney General, Basil Williams; Minister of State, Joseph Harmon and even President David Granger. However, a response is yet to be given.“No one is dealing with this. The Commission has written the Attorney General several times as well as the Minister of State. They even wrote the President to bring it to his attention and no one is responding to these concerns. With the way the Commission is functioning, it is not an independent body but one that is being manipulated,” the source added.
Exclusive – ‘Hodgson revolutionised Swiss football, he must be given time to do the same with England’
Former Switzerland international Ramon Vega has told talkSPORT the FA must give Roy Hodgson time to become a success as England boss.Hodgson has so far been unable to bring the best out of his Three Lions side during his two years as manager, having failed to register a win at the summer’s World Cup.But ex-Tottenham defender Vega says the former Liverpool chief revolutionised Swiss football during his three years in charge of the national side, from everything to the first-team set-up to their academy system.And he believes Hodgson should be given the time and the freedom to do the same with England.“Switzerland are on the football map because of Roy, they are where they are today because of him,” Vega told Drivetime.“When Hodgson took charge Switzerland didn’t really exist in the football world, everyone in the country was just talking about cuckoo clocks, chocolate and banking.“But now we’ve got some quality players who are playing abroad, while our youth team won the Under-17 World Cup in 2009.“The most important part of Roy’s time as boss is that he put a proper academy structure in place from the bottom to the top.“That’s why today we’ve got a lot of youth players coming into the first team.“I think England should look into that and do something similar and I think Roy is on his way to doing that, but the question is whether he is given the time to do it properly.”
1 Barnet have resigned former fans’ favourite Nicky Bailey.The 31-year-old midfielder spent three successful years at the club between 2004 and 2009 before Southend paid £175,000 to sign him.After one successful season at Roots Hall, Charlton offered Bailey the chance to play Championship football and he moved to The Valley in 2008.He produced some of the best football of his career in south London, which prompted Middlesbrough to spend £1.4m to sign him.He then spent three years at the Riverside before moving on to Millwall in 2013 – but left the club during the summer.And he has now dropped back down to League Two to pen a short-term deal at the Hive. Nicky Bailey during his three-year spell at Middlesbrough