For Immediate Release: Contact: Kathy ParrySeptember 1, 2005 (802) 371-3205Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Vermont Wires Funds To Hurricane Relief FundBerlin, VT Recognizing a desperate need for funds to bring help and medical care to the victims of Hurricane Katrina, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Vermont (BCBSVT) today contributed $10,000 toward a special relief fund being developed by the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association and administered by the American Red Cross.Its impossible to see the devastation and human suffering caused by this tragedy and not want to help, said William R. Milnes, Jr., President and CEO of Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Vermont. We hope that this contribution, made on behalf of our customers and members, can bring some measure of relief to the victims of this terrible natural disaster.Milnes said that in addition to the corporate contribution by BCBSVT, the companys employees also have initiated a fundraising effort for the hurricane victims.Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Vermont (BCBSVT) joins many of its sister Blue Cross and Blue Shield Plans across the nation in raising funds to aid relief in the most recent hurricane disaster. The Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association said it hopes to raise a total of $1 million from its independent member plans to contribute to the American Red Cross relief efforts.BCBSVT joined a similar effort by Blue Cross and Blue Shield Plans to raise funds to help relief efforts following the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Vermont is the state’s oldest and largest private health insurer, providing coverage for about 180,000 Vermonters. It employs over 350 Vermonters at its headquarters in Berlin and branch office in Williston, and offers group and individual health plans to Vermonters. More information about Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Vermont is available on the Internet at www.bcbsvt.com(link is external). Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Vermont is an independent corporation operating under a license with the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association, an association of independent Blue Cross and Blue Shield Plans.(End)
Press Association The 22-year-old has long been a target for the Blues and becomes the first transfer since the appointment of new manager Jose Mourinho in what is reported to be an £18million deal. A statement on the club’s official website, www.chelseafc.com, read: “Chelsea Football Club and Bayer 04 Leverkusen have reached an agreement for the transfer of Andre Schurrle, subject to the completion of legal documentation and related matters, including personal terms and passing a medical.” Chelsea have confirmed the signing of Germany forward Andre Schurrle from Bayer Leverkusen. It had been expected Chelsea midfielder Kevin de Bruyne would move on loan as part of the deal, following a successful spell in the Bundesliga at Werder Bremen last season. However, Chelsea’s statement made no mention of the 21-year-old, with Mourinho suggesting at Monday’s press conference the player was very much in his first-team plans for the future. Mourinho, who agreed a four-year deal to return to Stamford Bridge following his departure from Real Madrid, admitted it was “normal” to expect some fresh faces to be added to the squad, and Chelsea have been heavily linked with Napoli’s £30million-rated frontman Edinson Cavani as well as Wayne Rooney, should the England striker be sold by Manchester United. However, the new Blues manager, who won the Champions League for a second time with Inter Milan after leaving Stamford Bridge six years ago, maintained he was also looking to bring on the club’s younger players in the new campaign. ”These ‘kids’ – and I say that respectfully – have big potential and big space for improvement. They’ve not reached their best level,” he said. ”The stability the owner and I can give them is related to work – in the methods, the coaching philosophy, in my leadership, in everything that can help them improve. ”When you mix with them those who are over 30, we will keep a balance and try to go on.”
Star midfielder Luka Modric returned from injury for a matchup with his Real Madrid teammate Ronaldo, but both he and Barcelona’s Ivan Rakitic struggled to sparkle as they had earlier in the tournament. It was another Real Madrid player who had the best chance of the first-half when Pepe nodded Raphael Guerreiro’s dangerous free-kick over.Ivan Perisic was Croatia’s hero with the winning goal against Spain, but he pulled their best chance of the opening 45 minutes into the side-netting from a narrow angle.Croatia upped the pace at the start of the second period having enjoyed a day’s more rest than Portugal and Marcelo Brozovic should have done better when he blazed over from a quickly taken corner.Santos looked to inject some life into the Portugal midfield by introducing wonderkid Renato Sanches and the 18-year-old, who Bayern Munich paid Benfica €35 million for last month, nearly made an instant impact. After a lovely series of one-twos with Nani, Sanches took aim from the edge of the area only to drag his weak shot wide.Domagoj Vida headed a great chance wide for Croatia from Rakitic’s fine cross as the game began to come to life in the final quarter. Nani then had strong claims for a penalty waived away by Spanish referee Carlos Velasco Carballo when he appeared to be kicked in the chest by Ivan Strinic as he burst into the box.However, unlike so often at Euro 2016, there was no late drama as both sides settled for the stalemate to take the game into extra-time. Croatian boss Ante Cacic replaced ineffectual Juventus striker Mario Mandzukic with Nikola Kalinic, but the Fiorentina forward fired the only chance of the opening period of extra time wildly wide.Vida had another golden chance when he headed wide with the Portuguese goal gaping after Rui Patricio failed to collect Brozovic’s corner seven minutes from time. However, Patricio made himself a hero seconds later when he turned Ivan Perisic’s header onto the post.And Portugal then snatched their first victory of the tournament at the death as Subasic’s reflex save to keep out Ronaldo went unrewarded as Quaresma jubilantly nodded the ball in to the gaping net.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Ricardo Quaresma headed Portugal into the quarterfinals of Euro 2016 three minutes before the end of extra-time to break Croatian hearts with the only goal in Lens. Ronaldo was denied matching Michel Platini’s record of nine goals in European championship finals by a fine save from Danijel Subasic, but the ball fell kindly to Quaresma to head into an empty net. He sprinted to the corner flag where he was mobbed by his teammates.Portugal will face Poland in the quarterfinals in Marseille on Thursday after the Poles beat Switzerland 5-4 on penalties after a 1-1 draw earlier on Saturday.Ronaldo had been kept extremely quiet for the vast majority of the game as the dull encounter became the first match in European championship history where neither team managed a shot on target during the regulation 90 minutes.Portugal were the only side to progress to the last 16 despite not winning any of their three group games and coach Fernando Santos took an extremely cautious approach.Ronaldo did not even touch the ball in the Croatia box during the first-half, but Portugal were doing enough to limit a Croatia side that had thrilled in beating defending champions Spain 2-1 in midweek to precious few chances.