Though they lost ground this year, the student wing of the Samajwadi Party continues to be the leading force in the prestigious Allahabad University Students’ Union elections, results for which were declared in the early hours of Saturday.The Samajwadi Chatra Sabha grabbed two posts, president and joint secretary. However, the National Students’ Union of India of the Congress sprung a surprise as it also bagged two posts, vice-president and cultural secretary, in what is its best performance in over a decade.One seat fore ABVPThe student wing of the RSS-BJP, Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad, was restricted to a single seat, general secretary, which it had also won in 2017.The SCS had secured the post of president, vice-president, joint secretary and cultural secretary of the central varsity last year, winning four out of the five posts.The counting of the polls turned controversial as the hostel in which the winning candidate for the president’s post —Uday Prakash Yadav of the SCS — is living was set on fire by miscreants. Senior Superintendent of Police, Allahabad, Nitin Tiwari said that six to seven rooms in the Holland hostel were set on fire and that all items inside Mr. Uday Yadav’s room were gutted.The room of last year’s president Awanish Yadav, also of the SCS, was also gutted, while his car was set on fire. Several motorbikes were also gutted.The police are probing the case and an FIR will be registered.Mr. Uday Yadav alleged that police laxity had led to the incident, which he said tarnished the tradition of the Central varsity. The SCS alleged that the losing ABVP was behind the incident.“This is not an ordinary incident. But the police administration is silent because the BJP, known for its misuse of government machinery, has been dealt a cracking defeat,” said Mr. Uday Yadav, who is a first-year law student from Deoria.
LATEST STORIES Murphey Holloway. PBA IMAGESGlobalPort continued its up-and-down ride in the 2017 PBA Governors’ Cup, holding off Kia, 102-90, Sunday at Smart Araneta Coliseum.Murphy Holloway unfurled 29 points, 18 rebounds, three assists, and three blocks, while Stanley Pringle commandeered the offense and finished with 21 markers, seven boards, and four dimes as the Batang Pier evened their standing at 2-2.ADVERTISEMENT Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Celebrity chef Gary Rhodes dies at 59 with wife by his side Robredo should’ve resigned as drug czar after lack of trust issue – Panelo Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Lazaro’s hamstring injury forces Vicente to tap Macandili as replacement Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games MOST READ Trump signs bills in support of Hong Kong protesters NATO’s aging eye in the sky to get a last overhaul Hotel says PH coach apologized for ‘kikiam for breakfast’ claim Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ Pagasa: Storm intensifies as it nears PAR Kia, meanwhile, stumbled to its seventh straight loss to remain winless in the season-ending conference.Cummings dropped 37 points, six rebounds, and two assists in a losing effort for the Picanto, while Celda fired 15.The scores:GLOBALPORT 102 – Holloway 29, Pringle 21, Baracael 13, Cortez 10, Anthony 8, Pennisi 6, Arana 6, Guinto 5, Hubalde 4, Celiz 0, Grey 0, Forrester 0.KIA 90 – Cummings 37, Celda 15, Elorde 9, Camson 9, Paniamogan 6, Revilla 6, Salva 4, Caperal 2, Jaime 2, Corpuz 0, Ballesteros 0, Khobuntin 0, Yee 0, Deutchman 0.ADVERTISEMENT “That was a hard game for us,” said GlobalPort head coach Franz Pumaren, whose squad dropped its previous game at the hands of Barangay Ginebra, 124-108, on July 30. “Not trying to use any excuse, but you can see that the three-week layoff was hard on our part. We’re a bit sluggish in a way that we were rushing things, and maybe it’s because the players were excited to play.”Still without Terrence Romeo, who is with Gilas Pilipinas in the 2017 Fiba Asia Cup, GlobalPort seemed poised to run away with the victory as it staged an 18-4 run abridging the final two quarters, turning a 67-65 edge with 2:30 left in the third quarter to a commanding 85-69 lead early in the fourth period.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSBoxers Pacquiao, Petecio torchbearers for SEA Games openingHowever, Markeith Cummings and Reden Celda kept the Picanto in the game, trimming the deficit to as low as six, 96-90, with 54.5 ticks left, before Holloway dropped the thunderous dunk to end the rally.New acquisition Mac Baracael added 13 points on a 2-of-4 shooting from threes, to go with four rebounds in his first game after the three-team trade which sent him to the Batang Pier. Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ Quarters: 28-21, 49-48, 74-69, 102-90. View comments
The White House in the coming days is expected to send Congress a plan for closing the military prison at Guantánamo, even as President Obama’s options for carrying it out seem limited.On Wednesday, press secretary Josh Earnest said Obama could try to sidestep Congress if lawmakers reject the plan to close the facility and send some detainees to the United States, reported the Hill.“At this point, I would not take anything off the table in terms of the president doing everything that he can to achieve this critically important national security objective,” Earnest told reporters.In response, Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts (R) threatened to block the administration’s nominees from advancing in the Senate if Obama resorted to executive action in an attempt to shut down the prison.“An act of Congress would be required to move detainees to the mainland,” Roberts said in a statement. “I will place holds on any nominee necessary to prevent this unilateral action.”One step the president is not expected to take is vetoing the reworked version of the fiscal 2016 defense authorization bill now advancing through Congress. When he vetoed the original defense bill last month over its reliance on DOD’s overseas contingency operations account to evade the statutory spending caps, the president also cited the measure’s restrictions on closing the detention facility at Guantánamo as a factor in his decision.But now that congressional leaders and the White House have reached a two-year deal to exceed the Budget Control Act limits for defense and non-defense spending, it appears unlikely Obama would veto the defense authorization bill again, reported CQ.The policy bill would prohibit the transfer of detainees to the United States, or the construction or modification of facilities in the United States for housing the detainees. It also returns to stricter standards that would freeze the remaining population at Guantánamo for at least the next year. The legislation would require DOD to submit a plan within 90 days for the current and future detention of individuals, including a “specific facility or facilities that are intended to be used” for holding detainees.A plan from the Obama administration for closing the prison at Guantánamo Bay has been expected since the summer. DOD already has surveyed several candidate sites to house the detainees, including Fort Leavenworth, Kan., the Naval Consolidated Brig in Charleston, S.C., and a federal supermax facility in Florence, Colo.The administration’s proposal is not expected to recommend a single U.S. site for transferring prisoners but, instead, will include a list of alternatives and the costs associated with each. Dan Cohen AUTHOR
BOSTON, MA — The Massachusetts Department of Transportation is announcing the sixth annual statewide high school video contest, Safe Streets Smart Trips.The contest serves as an initiative within the Massachusetts Strategic Highway Safety Plan to promote and educate the public about safe walking, bicycling and driving behaviors. The contest began five years ago to encourage high school students to showcase their understanding of roadway safety across all travel modes to try to decrease pedestrian and bicyclist injuries and fatalities.“We are pleased to once again be able to give students the opportunity to create educational videos which underscore messages in the ‘Scan the Streets for Wheels and Feet’ initiative,” said MassDOT Secretary and CEO Stephanie Pollack. “The video contest has resulted in very creative ideas during the last few years and we look forward to seeing what teenagers will produce during this year’s contest to make the public more aware of safe behaviors while traveling.”In summer 2017, MassDOT launched a new statewide campaign to raise awareness about motorists, pedestrians and cyclists safely sharing the commonwealth’s streets. This initiative reminds travelers to “Scan the Street for Wheels and Feet.” The campaign slogan emphasizes the notion that everyone who is traveling on a roadway is responsible for doing their part to ensure safety.The video contest, open to all Massachusetts high school students, features a freshman/sophomore category and junior/senior category. Per contest guidelines, students are asked to write and produce a one-minute commercial video that focuses on one or several of the crash statistics from the campaign and uses the slogan “Scan the Street for Wheels and Feet.”Complete contest guidelines are being sent to high schools and are also found at http://Mass.gov/roadway-safety-video. Grand prize and runner-up videos in each category will be chosen by a MassDOT panel during October. Winning videos will be screened at MassDOT’s annual active transportation conference, “Moving Together,” where the creators will receive prizes. Top videos may also be used in future safety campaigns on MBTA digital boards.To learn more about the Safe Streets Smart Trips high school video contest, visit http://Mass.gov/roadway-safety-video or call 857-383-3807. Deadline for entries is October 4, 2019.(NOTE: The above press release is from the MassDOT.)Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedMassDOT, MBTA, & Massachusetts Operation Lifesaver Raise Awareness During 2nd Annual Rail Safety WeekIn “Police Log”WHS Students Invited To Enter ‘YOUth Should Vote’ Video ContestIn “Community”Input From Wilmington Residents Sought On MassDOT, MBTA Capital Investment PlanIn “Government”
WILMINGTON, MA — Wilmington Youth Soccer will hold its 8th Annual Field Day and 3v3 Tournament on Sunday, September 15, 2019 (rain date September 22th) from 10am to 4pm at the Shawsheen School fields.As part of Field Day, Wilmington Youth Soccer will be holding its Annual 3v3 Soccer Tournament. All athletes from Grades 1-8 are welcome; players do not have to be enrolled in Wilmington Youth Soccer to participate. Teams can include 3 to 6 players with a registration fee of $120 per team – which includes Field Day entry for all players and coaches. For more information, visit http://wilmingtonyouthsoccer.org. Registration will be open on the website soon.Proceeds will benefit the Wilmington Youth Soccer Association.(NOTE: The above information is from the Wilmington Youth Soccer.)Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email email@example.com.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedCOMING SOON: Wilmington Youth Soccer’s Field Day & 3v3 Tournament Set For September 15In “Community”Wilmington Youth Soccer Announces Field Day & 3v3 Tournament For September 10In “Sports”Wilmington Youth Soccer Announces Field Day & 3v3 Tournament For September 9In “Sports”
Kolkata: A man identified as Kushal Singh (37) was found dead inside a water tank at a warehouse on Belilious Road in Howrah on Monday morning. A source said Singh worked as a driver in Howrah. He belongs to Arrah district in Bihar and lived on Foreshore Road at Shibpur in Howrah. He also worked at a warehouse of a food wholesaler. According to a labourer of the warehouse, Singh came to work on Monday around 9 am. When he entered the warehouse, he saw water overflowing from the tank located on warehouse premises. Also Read – Bose & Gandhi: More similar than apart, says Sugata BoseHe went to check why the water was overflowing. Despite repeated attempts, Singh could not solve problem from outside and got into the 4ft deep water tank. When he went inside the tank, an official heard him calling for help. The official rushed and tried to pull him out but failed. Other labourers also tried but could not help him. Howrah police station and fire brigade were informed immediately. Later, Singh was pulled out in an unconscious state and was admitted to the Howrah District Hospital where doctors declared him brought dead. Sleuths are checking if Singh was pushed into the tank when he was standing near it. The police are checking if he was forced to get inside the tank. An unnatural death case has been lodged in this connection at the Howrah police station.
Kolkata: Additional Chief Secretary to the state Information Technology (IT) and Electronics department Debashis Sen on Thursday stated that the state government is mulling a long-term strategy to build resources by introducing cyber security curriculum at the school level.During a Cyber Secure Conclave organised by the Indian Chamber of Commerce (ICC), Sen said that he believes the move will develop the skills from school level, which would help the IT industry in the country gain more skilled employees, resulting in rapid growth in the sector. Also Read – Rs 13,000 crore investment to provide 2 lakh jobs: MamataAccording to Sen, if proper guidance regarding the cyber world can be given at the early stage of one’s academic career, it would not only help develop their skills but also create awareness. He will soon submit a proposal to the Education department in this regard. Apart from this, Sen stated that the state government believes that simple precaution, checks and balances will help bring down cyber security attacks by a significant amount. The state government is tying up with academic institutions with the aim of taking the help of scholars engaged in the research of cyber security, for addressing the issues in this connection. Also Read – Lightning kills 8, injures 16 in stateSen also said that using sandbox environment or isolate systems from the internet when not required will help in reducing the vulnerability of cyber threats. Apart from Sen, the vice-president of the Sector V Stake Holders Association and the Executive Committee Member of the ICC Kalyan Kar stated that data has become very important in today’s world. He added that along with the companies, the clients also should follow some norms as preventive measures to stay safe in the cyber world.