IBEW Local 300 Announces Scholarship Deadline

first_imgIBEW LOCAL 300 ANNOUNCES UNION PLUS SCHOLARSHIP CUTOFFAwards Open to All Members of AFL-CIO AffiliatesSouth Burlington, Vt. – (Dec. 19, 2007) – The International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW) Local 300 recently announced the deadline for the Union Plus Scholarship Program.The nationwide post-secondary scholarship – open to current or retired AFL-CIO affiliated union members, their spouses and dependent children – will accept applications until Jan. 31, 2008 and is presented by Union Privilege. Since 1992, over $2.4 million has been awarded to 1,700-plus working families. Formed in 1955, the AFL-CIO is a voluntary federation of 55 international labor unions -including the IBEW – that collectively represent over 10 million working people. The AFL-CIO created Union Privilege in 1986 to provide union members and their families with valuable consumer benefits, such as credit cards, loans, mortgages, insurance, legal resources, travel discounts and education services. “Not only do unions emphasize hard work, but they also encourage continuing education,” said IBEW Local 300 Business Manager George Clain. “This scholarship enables union families across the country to better their lives through learning. Local 300 members, as well as those from other AFL-CIO affiliated labor groups in Vermont, are encouraged to apply.”Union Plus Scholarship applications are available for download at http://www.unionplus.org(link is external). Winners must be accepted into an accredited college, university, community college, technical or trade school at the time the award is issued.ABOUT THE IBEW LOCAL 300Based in South Burlington, the IBEW Local 300 serves 1,200-plus laborers throughout Vermont. The organization is part of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW), which is headquartered in Washington, D.C., and represents approximately 750,000 members who work in a wide variety of fields, including utilities, construction, telecommunications, broadcasting, manufacturing, railroads and government. The IBEW has members in both the United States and Canada and stands out among the American unions in the AFL-CIO because of its size and highly skilled constituency.For more information, contact Marketing and Business Development Director Matt Lash at (802) 864-5864, MLash@ibewlocal300.org(link sends e-mail) or http://www.ibewlocal300.org(link is external).last_img read more

Read More →

General mask use OK where hand-washing, distancing hard: WHO

first_imgRacism row Tedros also lashed out at “racist” suggestions from some scientists that Africa could be used as a testing ground for a vaccine, which is thought to be 12 to 18 months away.Two leading French doctors sparked a storm of criticism last week by discussing on television the idea of testing a coronavirus vaccine in Africa, citing its relative lack of resilience to the pandemic in its infrastructure.They insisted Friday they had been misunderstood and apologized for any offence caused.Africa has confirmed relatively few cases and deaths so far compared to other continents.But the WHO and others have long warned that it could be badly exposed should the virus, both in terms of preparedness and health care.”Africa cannot and will not be a testing ground for any vaccine,” Tedros said.”It was a disgrace, appalling, to hear during the 21st century to hear from scientists…  this kind of racist remarks.”The hang-over from the colonial mentality has to stop. WHO will not allow this to happen.”We will follow all the rules to test any vaccine or therapeutics all over the world using exactly the same rules,” said Tedros, who previously served as minister of health and foreign affairs in Ethiopia. The WHO said Monday that asking the general public to wear facemasks could be justified in areas where hand-washing and physical distancing were difficult, but warned masks alone could not stop the coronavirus pandemic.World Health Organization chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus also slammed suggestions that Africa should be used as a testing ground for a vaccine as racist.The global COVID-19 pandemic has killed more than 70,000 people, while more than 1.2 million people have tested positive for the new coronavirus. A vaccine is thought to be at least a year away. “Countries could consider using masks in communities where other measures such as cleaning hands and physical distancing are harder to achieve because of lack of water or cramped living conditions,” Tedros told a virtual briefing in Geneva.Tedros said he understood that some countries had recommended or were considering the use of both medical and non-medical masks in the general population to prevent the spread of the virus.However, he stressed that the mass use of medical masks could exacerbate the shortage of protective equipment for healthcare workers, saying some were now facing “real danger”.And he said that outside of health facilities, medical masks were recommended for those who were sick, and their carers.center_img Free online concert Meanwhile the WHO teamed up with US superstar Lady Gaga to launch a giant coronavirus awareness concert on April 18 entitled “One World: Together at Home”.The free oTopics :last_img read more

Read More →

Lucas Torreira’s agent tells Mikel Arteta to make decision on Arsenal star’s future

first_img Mikel Arteta discusses changes at ArsenalTo view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video Play VideoLoaded: 0%0:00Progress: 0%PlayMuteCurrent Time 0:00/Duration Time 3:46FullscreenMikel Arteta discusses changes at Arsenalhttps://metro.co.uk/video/mikel-arteta-discusses-changes-arsenal-2238696/This is a modal window.Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparentWindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaqueFont Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400%Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadowFont FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall CapsReset restore all settings to the default valuesDoneClose Modal DialogEnd of dialog window.AC Milan and Fiorentina have also expressed an interest in bringing the combative former Sampdoria star back to Serie A and Torreira’s representative has asked Arsenal to make their intentions clear. ‘There are many requests for information, but nothing official yet, so there are no written offers on the table,’ Pablo Bentancur told Calciomercato.com.‘The player is training with Arsenal, they own him, he is one of the few cases of athletes who arrive in England and immediately play 50 games in a row.More: Arsenal FCArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira movesThomas Partey debut? Ian Wright picks his Arsenal starting XI vs Manchester CityArsene Wenger explains why Mikel Arteta is ‘lucky’ to be managing Arsenal‘After a nasty injury, he didn’t require surgery, but the recovery process was still tricky and took a while. Now the coach and Arsenal must work out if they need Torreira or not.‘Football has to be divided into two parts, the sporting and the economic areas. In sporting terms, Torreira is perfect for Torino and he’d reunite with Marco Giampaolo after their time at Sampdoria.‘At the same time, we must be realistic and admit Arsenal will have some very big demands, while Lucas’ salary is also a bit too high for Torino.’MORE: Paul Merson urges Arsenal to make ‘big statement’ by completing Gabriel Magalhaes transferMORE: Gabriel Martinelli offers verdict on Arsenal signing WillianFollow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.For more stories like this, check our sport page. Comment Metro Sport ReporterSaturday 29 Aug 2020 11:09 amShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link1.2kShares Advertisement Advertisement Lucas Torreira’s future at Arsenal remains unclear (Picture: Getty)Lucas Torreira’s agent has urged Mikel Arteta to make a definitive decision on the Arsenal midfielder’s future. The Uruguay international impressed during the early weeks of Arteta’s reign when he was restored to his customary role at the base of Arsenal’s midfield, having been deployed in a more attacking position by Unai Emery.Torreira suffered a serious ankle injury during an FA Cup win at Portsmouth in March and by the time he had recovered he found it hard to force his way back into the starting XI, given the form of Dani Ceballos and Granit Xhaka.AdvertisementAdvertisementArteta had hoped to strengthen his midfield this summer but with Ceballos having returned to Real Madrid and there being little to no transfer interest in the exiled Matteo Guendouzi, the Spaniard’s plans appear to be on hold.ADVERTISEMENTA deal for Atletico Madrid’s Thomas Partey appears to be beyond Arsenal’s financial means, but the club are said to have explored the option of a swap deal with Roma involving Torreira and Amadou Diawara. Lucas Torreira’s agent tells Mikel Arteta to make decision on Arsenal star’s futurelast_img read more

Read More →

Elijah Stewart declares for the NBA draft

first_imgKatlyn Lee | Daily TrojanJunior guard Elijah Stewart declared for the NBA Draft without an agent on Tuesday. The move was first reported by DraftExpress and confirmed by USC.Joining sophomore forward Bennie Boatwright and redshirt sophomore guard Shaqquan Aaron, Stewart is the third USC player to declare without an agent after the Trojans’ surprise run to the Round of 32 in this year’s NCAA Tournament. Like his teammates, Stewart can withdraw from the draft before May 24.Stewart is not projected to be selected according to most experts’ mock drafts, making a return to USC likely. However, he turned heads during March Madness, pouring in 22 points against SMU and draining the game-winning shot. Six of Stewart’s baskets came from behind the arc, proving his duality across the court as a threat from outside and driving to the basket.Stewart also added 12 points and four 3-pointers against Baylor, and he was the Trojans’ leading 3-point scorer throughout the 2016-17 campaign, sinking 78 threes. The total led the team by more than 30, with Boatwright and junior guard Jordan McLaughlin in second with 47 3-pointers each. Stewart was also one of the most efficient Trojan shooters from beyond the arc, trailing only McLaughlin in 3-point percentage.The junior averaged 12.3 points and 3.9 rebounds per game last season while acting as a veteran presence on a team with just five upperclassmen. Stewart’s 175 career 3-pointers is sixth all-time in program history, just one bucket short of tying Harold Miner for fifth. A repeat of last season would catapult him to the top of the list; Lodrick Stewart is currently the all-time leader with 232 made threes from 2004 to 2007, a number that Stewart could catch up to if he continues to heat up from behind the arc.With a new contract extension and a strong incoming recruiting class, head coach Andy Enfield would surely like to retain Stewart and build on the promising 2016-17 season. Although three Trojans have declared for the draft so far, none of these players have taken on an agent, meaning that they are still flexible in their decision making. Additionally, none of these three players are predicted to go even in the final round in expert mock drafts. This could change, however, with their performance at the NBA Combine, which will take place in Chicago from May 9 to 14. The combine gives athletes a chance to showcase their abilities in a series of drills, interviews and tests. The results of those five days will be one of the key deciding factors for Stewart and the rest of the players who have declared. From there, each of the Trojans will have to make a decision to stay or go by the deadline in May. If they decide to stay, they will return to summer ball with the Trojans and look to help Enfield return his team to the NCAA tourney for the third time in a row. If not, Stewart and his teammates will head to the NBA Draft, which will take place on June 22.last_img read more

Read More →

Women’s World Cup 2019: Megan Rapinoe explains USWNT’s celebrations amid criticism

first_imgMegan Rapinoe has voiced her opinion on a wide range of issues that span beyond women’s soccer.But Saturday, before the United States women’s national team faces Netherlands in the World Cup final, she addressed something that has been a big topic of conversation as the team blazes through to what they hope is a fourth world title. Rapinoe herself has taken criticism for goal celebrations, but she offered a simple explanation in a long-winded answer that addressed some of the underlying issues.The veteran midfielder simply said, “We work hard and play hard.” Related News ‘Game of Thrones’ star Sophie Turner slams ‘haters’ of Alex Morgan’s tea-sipping homage Women’s World Cup 2019 preview: What to know, how to watch USWNT vs. Netherlands final Rapinoe, who has scored five goals in this World Cup including consecutive braces in the knockout wins against Spain and host France, was absent from the semifinal victory Tuesday over England because of a slight hamstring strain.In the USWNT’s win, Alex Morgan received flak for her tea-sipping celebration. But Rapinoe didn’t bat an eye. In fact, she encourages her teammates to celebrate.When asked if the hostility comes because society is not ready to deal with confident women, Rapinoe agreed.”I definitely think that’s part of it I think we have a particular lightness about us that maybe people take as aloofness or thinking that we’re too good or whatever,” she said. “I think so much of what we have to shoulder all of the time is heavy. It’s no secret that we’re the leaders in the women’s game in a lot of different issues — equality and pay equality, gender issues and just at large our team has been very open and very willing to get in any kind of equality fight.”So when we get the chance to play and showcase our skillset and be free on the field, we work hard and play hard. We think the game should be played with exuberance. The whole point of the game is to score a goal. I actually get on my teammates sometimes like you guys have got to pick your game, you can’t score a goal and be like, yeah, I scored a goal. It’s the whole point.” Women’s World Cup 2019: Megan Rapinoe takes aim at FIFA over prize money gap, finals scheduling Rapinoe has 157 caps on the USWNT and appeared in the 2011 World Cup, where the team finished as runner ups, and again in the 2015 tournament where the women claimed their most recent title. But she recognized not everyone will get opportunities to appear in multiple events, which is one of the reasons she eggs on the goal scorers.”I think that dynamic is playing a lot. Obviously, we have to take on a lot off the field. When we get our chance, especially at the World Cup, this comes every four years. Nothing is guaranteed. Some players might only play in one, you’re lucky if you get to play in multiple. This is the most incredible stage you can ever be on as a football player and we are going to enjoy it no matter what.”last_img read more

Read More →

Early season showdown goes Tuesday between Beaver Valley and Nelson

first_imgIt’s only October, but we have a good old fashion showdown in the Murdoch Division of the Kootenay International Junior Hockey League.Division-leading Nelson Leafs play host to second-place Beaver Valley Nitehawks in the first meeting of the season between the two West Kootenay combatants Tuesday at the NDCC Arena.“It’s exciting the guys are starting to believe, but this will be a good test for us,” said Leaf coach Frank Maida.Both teams enter the contest on a roll to start the KIJHL season.Nelson has won five consecutive games after losing two of its first three — the second setback coming in overtime to Kelowna.In the Beaver Valley, the Hawks, under the guidance of seasoned KIJHL veteran coach Terry Jones, have lost just once in six games and sit only three points behind the Leafs in Murdoch Division standings.“Beaver Valley is a strong, disciplined coached team,” said Maida of the upcoming clash.“Terry (Jones) has been around the league a long time and it looks like he has his team playing very well.”Snipers Ryan Edwards and Chris Derochie along with 16-year-old rookie Craig Martin lead Beaver Valley in scoring.All three players have more points this season than the top scorer on the Leafs, Matti Jmaeff.Last season Beaver Valley dominated the Leafs, winning the season series.sports@thenelsondaily.comlast_img read more

Read More →