Residents, Sime Darby Management Seek Peace Path

first_imgResidents with Sime Darby Liberia manager David Parker, shortly after they smoked the ‘peace pipe.’One of the masterminds of the recent demonstration by residents of the Project Affected Community (PAC) in the Sime Darby Liberia operational area in Grand Cape Mount County has apologized and, together with other residents, is now seeking a peace solution to their issue.It can be recalled that some PAC youth recently staged a protest against Sime Darby’s management in demand of school buses to transport students.The protest, which lasted for several hours, brought normal working activities at the company’ head office to a standstill. It was eventually brought under control by officers of the Liberia National Police (LNP).During a ground-breaking ceremony for the first modern PAC office in the county and the gowning of general manager David Parker, the residents, through their various speakers, openly expressed remorse for their children’s action that disrupted normal activities at the company.On behalf of the residents, Bendu Zarzar said that it was not the elders’ intention for their children to stage a protest against the company, adding that certain persons among them led the children to do what they did.“Mr. Parker, we want to say here on behalf of our children that we are very sorry for the incident, but it was some people who took the children into what they did against Sime Darby. So we say again, we are very sorry,” she said on behalf of the residents.For his part, the youth leader of the PAC, H. Mohammed Kaiwu, said he was happy that the company decided to build the office in the community, adding that the PAC had been “operating from their bags.”Kaiwu termed the project as a new beginning for the 17 affected communities, stating that the office construction project also presents new opportunities for the residents.“I am very happy today because I see this day as a new beginning in the lives of the people of the affected communities. For the past years, we have been working with Sime Darby from our field offices, but our offices are just in our bags passing around,” Kaiwu admitted.Proffering a solution to the reason for the youth led protest action, Kaiwu appealed to the management to make available a school bus to enable students to get to campus on time, stressing that school going age kids walk long distances to acquire education.Meanwhile, Parker put the cost of erecting the structure at US$25,000, adding that the work is expected to get underway anytime this week.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Read More

Blatter hints at new evidence to challenge 6-year FIFA ban

first_imgAsked by The Associated Press for details of potential evidence, Blatter spokesman Thomas Renggli replied in a message: “We are working on it.”Blatter is barred from soccer through October 2021 after the Court of Arbitration for Sport upheld his ban for payments to one-time adviser Michel Platini. The case cost Platini the UEFA presidency, and stopped him from being a candidate to replace Blatter in the 2016 election.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSLillard, Anthony lead Blazers over ThunderSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutThe CAS judges said Blatter was “reckless” for paying Platini $2 million in uncontracted salary more than eight years after the former France great stopped being employed by FIFA.Blatter also effectively added $1 million to Platini’s FIFA pension fund reserved for executive committee members by extending entitlement against the rules for the years he worked as an adviser. LATEST STORIES Blatter tweeted the message to his 2.5 million followers from an account that was dormant since he was first suspended by the FIFA ethics committee in October 2015. It was revived this week. On Monday, he posted congratulations to Australian Open champion Roger Federer and then the cover of a new edition in Russian of his 2016 book, “Sepp Blatter: Mission and Passion Football.”Russia is the only country where Blatter, who is Swiss, has made a public appearance — at the World Cup qualifying draw held in St. Petersburg in July 2015 — since federal prosecutors in the United States and Switzerland unsealed sweeping investigations of alleged corruption linked to FIFA earlier that year.A Swiss criminal proceeding was opened against Blatter in September 2015 for alleged financial misconduct, but no charges have been made.The 81-year-old Blatter has often said he will return to Russia for the World Cup to fulfil a long-standing invitation from President Vladimir Putin.A second book is also expected to be published ahead of the World Cup. Blatter said last April it would document his 40 years with FIFA and 16 years as a member of the International Olympic Committee.ADVERTISEMENT Globe Business launches leading cloud-enabled and hardware-agnostic conferencing platform in PH AFP official booed out of forum French referee banned 3 months after kicking player MOST READ Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. John Lloyd Cruz a dashing guest at Vhong Navarro’s wedding Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PHcenter_img Former FIFA president Sepp Blatter gestures as he gives an interview to news agencies on April 21, 2017 in Zurich. / AFP PHOTO / Michael BuholzerGENEVA — Former FIFA president Sepp Blatter claims to have “new facts” and wants to re-open the financial misconduct case that led to his six-year ban.“As new facts have appeared it’s time to question the decision of the Fifa Ethics-Committee — my suspension of 6 years!” Blatter said Friday on his reactivated Twitter account.ADVERTISEMENT Slow and steady hope for near-extinct Bangladesh tortoises Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university PLAY LIST 01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City 2 ‘newbie’ drug pushers fall in Lucena sting NEXT BLOCK ASIA 2.0 introduces GURUS AWARDS to recognize and reward industry influencers Read Next View commentslast_img read more

Read More