Man Utd made contact before I signed new Athletic deal – Williams

first_imgInaki Williams has confirmed that Manchester United made contact with him over the summer before he opted to sign a new contract with Athletic Club.The pacey forward was linked with a move to Old Trafford during pre-season as Ole Gunnar Solskjaer looked to bolster his squad ahead of the new campaign.And Williams has revealed that the Red Devils did enquire as to whether he would be interested in moving to the Premier League, but he instead opted to remain in Bilbao. Article continues below Editors’ Picks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? Ox-rated! Dream night in Genk for Liverpool ace after injury nightmare Messi a man for all Champions League seasons – but will this really be Barcelona’s? Are Chelsea this season’s Ajax? Super-subs Batshuayi & Pulisic show Blues can dare to dream “I had contact from Manchester United but I cannot tell you who it was,” he told radio station Cadena SER.The 25-year-old signed a new nine-year deal with Athletic in August, which saw his release clause increase from €85 million (£81m/$95m) to €135m (£125m/$150m).Having come through the club’s academy, Williams has made 207 appearances for the San Mames outfit since his debut in 2014, scoring 50 goals.He has previously been linked with Liverpool while there have been suggestions he could even move across the Basque country to join Athletic’s rivals Real Sociedad.But he insists he is going nowhere, and even suggested that he could look to retire with Athletic when the time comes for him to hang up his boots.”My number one option has always been to stay at Athletic Club and to retire here. Joining Real Sociedad? No, I could never go there. 100 per cent.”Athletic sit second in the Liga table following their first three matches of the season having picked up two victories and a draw.They began the new campaign with a dramatic 1-0 win over reigning champions Barcelona and backed it up with a 1-1 draw away at Getafe.Williams then got off the mark for the season with the opening goal of his side’s 2-0 victory over Sociedad in the Basque derby, leaving Gaizka Garitano’s side sitting two points behind early pacesetters Atletico Madrid.They return to action following the international break on Friday when they visit newly-promoted Real Mallorca.last_img read more

Read More

DR of Congo UN relief effort continues in town destroyed by volcano

The UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) is coordinating the operation, which is also giving out supplies at one site in the neighbouring town of Sake, a UN spokesperson said in New York. Meanwhile, general food distribution to thousands of people in the two towns continued under the supervision of the UN World Food Programme (WFP), which is working with non-governmental organizations (NGOs). According to WFP, food continues to arrive in the Goma area in sufficient quantities, with the agency planning to distribute approximately 8,000 metric tonnes of food in the DRC for the first month. Recent assessment missions conducted in the Goma area by UN relief officials have confirmed the tendency for displaced persons to return to the town. In related news, Amos Namanga Ngongi, the head of the UN peacekeeping mission in the DRC, and Gen. Mountaga Diallo, the commander of UN troops, were in Goma today for their second visit in 72 hours and met with officials of the Rally for Congolese Democracy (RCD), the de facto authority in the town. Mr. Ngongi told the officials that the mission, known as MONUC, was committed to helping the UN agencies and their NGO partners in the humanitarian effort and that assisting the population of Goma was of paramount importance. He noted that MONUC’s air and ground assets were used to cope with the crisis and help transport humanitarian assistance to the needy population. RCD officials commended the UN mission for its active contributions and emphasized the key, cooperative role played by senior MONUC officials who were in Goma at the time of the eruption, according to a UN spokesperson. On the financial side, the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) reported that some $12 million had been released for the humanitarian effort in Goma, though the figure does not include in-kind contributions, such as air transport. read more

Read More