(REUTERS) – Reports of discrimination across all levels of professional soccer in England and Wales rose by 42% last season, despite it was suspended for months due to the COVID-19 pandemic, anti-racism organisation Kick It Out has said.There were 446 reports of discrimination in the 2019-20 season, up from 313 in the previous campaign, while reports of racial abuse increased by 53%. There were also 117 reports of abuse based on sexual orientation – a 95% rise.Premier League teams have sought to highlight racial injustice following the season’s restart in June with Black Lives Matter protests before kickoffs but Kick It Out chairman Sanjay Bhandari said there was still work to be done.“This year the pandemic and the killing of George Floyd turned the world on its head,” Bhandari said.“Football responded positively with clubs increasing their work in the community and with the players symbolising the demand for greater equality of opportunity, by taking a knee.“But beneath the surface, hate and division in society remains a lurking pernicious threat.”Crystal Palace’s Patrick van Aanholt and Wilfried Zaha had called for social media platforms to take stronger action against racism after they were both subjected to online racial abuse.“The FA has made huge strides in recent years to ensure that English football is a diverse and inclusive game, but we know there is more to be done,” Paul Elliott, chair of the Football Association’s Inclusion Advisory Board, said.“We strongly condemn all forms of discrimination and … we investigate all reported forms of discriminatory abuse in English football at every level of the game.”
He plans to move to Brest after parting company with Al-Fujairah FC where he was coach of the United Arab Emirates club.He touched down in Belarus after being a FIFA ambassador at the World Cup in next door Russia, where his matchday antics, including giving an obscene middle-finger gesture to Nigeria fans during one game, raised eyebrows.â€œI want to make a photo with Lukashenko, I hope he will become our fan,â€ Maradona said at a press conference after landing in Brest to the cheers of two dozen supporters, and being given a traditional welcome of bread and salt.â€œI can live without problems in Belarus,â€ he added.Dynamo Brest have never won a league title and a local supporter told Reuters that until a couple of years ago the club had so little money that supporters sometimes were asked to raise funds for team jerseys.But with the arrival of a new investor from the UAE, the club has won two domestic cups and plans to build a new stadium with a capacity of 30,000 fans.â€œGiven the fact that boss Diego will live in Brest, I think people will come from all over the world to watch the game,â€ said the clubâ€™s director of development Viktor Radkov.Radkov said Maradona, who captained Argentina to World Cup success in 1986, will live in a mansion with a small gym in Brest and believes the Argentinian will move there by August.â€œHe had certain requirements, but all of them were reasonable,â€ Radkov said.The 57-year-old former Barcelona and Napoli forward previously managed UAE team Al-Wasl along with the Argentina national team from 2008 to 2010.President Lukashenko has ruled Belarus with an iron fist for nearly a quarter of a century though ties with the West have improved after he agreed to release some prisoners and tolerate a degree of opposition in parliament.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Argentinaâ€™s football legend, Diego Maradona has taken over as chairman, Dynamos Brest in Belarus, one of the republics linking Russia to Kaliningrad, the detached Russian region where Nigeria played against Croatia in the World Cup.Maradona was announced as the club chairman on Monday as he signed a three-year contract and said he hoped the countryâ€™s strongman President, Alexander Lukashenko would become a fan.Maradona has caused a sensation in Belarus by agreeing to take charge of a club that was rescued from bankruptcy two years ago.
Speaking on the importance of the programme, Academic Director, Henry Onukwuba said, “The SBMP was designed by LBS and LaLiga Business School to bridge a long-existing learning gap in the Nigerian sports industry and owing to the success of the first edition, we have designed a more comprehensive and richer learning experience for participants this year.”The second phase, LaLiga week is an immersion experience specially designed to help willing participants explore the vibrant sports city of Madrid. The six-day experience will include classroom sessions at LaLiga Business School, study tours to major sports facilities and LaLiga football clubs, and attendance of a live football game.Head of LaLiga Business School, José Moya said, “We are once again thrilled to have the opportunity to spread the LaLiga expertise across Nigeria and Africa.”The collaboration with LaLiga Business School is part of LBS’ efforts towards partnering with global business schools and top organisations with the aim to positively impact the practice of management across sectors.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Lagos Business School (LBS) and its partner institution (academic partner), LaLiga Business School are jointly hosting the second edition of the Sports Business Management Programme (SBMP) scheduled to hold in Nigeria and Spain in July and September respectively.The Sports Business Management Programme (SBMP) is the product of a collaboration between LBS and Spanish league, LaLiga to promote capacity development in Nigeria’s sports sector through research and training in sports business management and administration. The organisations signed a Memorandum of Understanding in October 2018 to kick off the first edition of the programme.This year, however, the SBMP will be delivered in two phases. In the first phase, participants will take class lessons from LBS faculty and experts in Nigeria’s sports scene including Henry Onukwuba, Dr Uchenna Uzo, Dr Kweku Tandoh, Chief Segun Odegbami, Dr Larry Izamoje, and others.
“Future Voter I will NOT let you down,” “Everyone is created equal” and “Planet before Profit” read some of the posters from the Women’s March on display at Doheny Library.Sue Luftschein, librarian and head of special collections and archival and metadata librarian, and Michaela Ullmann, exile studies librarian at the USC special collections library, initiated the process of collecting these posters from protesters in an effort to make an exhibit earlier this year. The exhibit went on display at the end of April and will continue for about another month, according to Luftschein.“I realized that sometimes we are missing certain collections, having certain gaps in our collections … This was the biggest march in Southern California and in Los Angeles’s history,” Ullmann said. “I thought it would be great to reach out and see if we could collect some of these posters to add [to] our collection.”Both Ullmann and Luftschein said that the exhibit is an opportunity for students to see the collection without having to request materials. Lindsay Anderson, a senior majoring in history, helped develop the exhibit.“I was a little nervous, but then I thought that this would be a good opportunity to learn something that I have never learned before,” Anderson said. “I didn’t go to the Women’s March and I felt like this was a redeeming opportunity.”Anderson said that Luftschein and Ullmann helped her create the exhibit and in doing so, gave her ideas for the exhibit arrangement. She said the other librarians gave their views on which posters to display as well.“There were about 126 to 127 posters and I had to narrow it down to 10,” Anderson said.Anderson added that the most challenging part was choosing from a wide array of posters on different topics such as immigration, women’s rights and environmental rights. “I wanted to choose posters that had messages that were easy to understand and I also wanted it to be diverse in terms of choosing which posters to use,” she said.Rayna Koishikawa, a recent graduate, who majored in narrative studies said the Women’s March and this exhibit shows the amount of support that people have for each other. “It felt like everyone in the street that day was supporting each other,” Koishikawa said. “It’s just remembering that day and reminding people of how much support they have.” Ullman said that in future years, these posters will be an artifact to preserve history. In addition, Ullman said that people who submitted the posters included personal stories behind the posters and signs.“For people who don’t have the opportunity to attend any of these marches, it’s an opportunity to see rather than just looking at it on your phone or your TV,” Luftschein said. “To see the actual objects, the things that people created, and how meaningful they were to the people who created and carried them.”
Photo from USC News Making money · Through USC Senior Vice President for Advancement Albert R. Checcio’s work with Campaign for USC, the University has raised more than $6.6 billion, surpassing previous goals.USC Senior Vice President for Advancement Albert R. Checcio announced he will be retiring June 30, after eight years at the University.Since he first began working at the University in 2010, Checcio has supervised Campaign for USC – the largest fundraising campaign to be held by an institution of higher education – since before its official launch in 2011. Checcio was able to surpass his $6 billion goal by raising $6.6 billion nearly 18 months in advance, according to a press release. The campaign continues to receive support from the USC community.“Mr. Checcio has been instrumental in the continued growth of USC through the numerous transformative gifts that have forever altered the landscape of our University,” USC President C. L. Max Nikias told USC News. “He has pursued a highly tactical fundraising plan, while strengthening our commitment to professionalism throughout his entire department.”Under Checcio’s management, the Campaign for USC received more than 365,000 contributions, according to USC News. These contributions included $374 million for endowed student scholarships and fellowships, $1.3 billion for health sciences and $1.6 billion for faculty positions and research endowments.Checcio said in an email to the Daily Trojan that the greatest contribution he made to the University was “professionalizing the advancement program by establishing industry best practices and recruiting very talented people.”Checcio’s work with Campaign for USC has aided $700 million for the creation of USC Village and supported the $270 million renovations for the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum.Recently, there has also been greater participation among different members of the alumni network. Two-thirds of the gifted money were from non-USC alumni who supported the University’s mission. With the growing total, $2.3 billion were donated by alumni and $2 billion by the parents of USC students.“As he and his family move forward, so does USC Advancement, and we are eager to build on the solid fundraising foundation he has built for our Trojan Family,” Nikias told USC News. “Our campaign has already achieved its original goal, and we have extended it for five more years. Our success — and the impact it has on our work for generations to come — will always have its roots in Mr. Checcio’s dedication and foresight.”As Checcio moves forward with his retirement plan, he said he hopes that USC’s academic ascent will continue and the University will become firmly established and recognized as one of the top 10 universities in the United States.
St Michael’s aim to continue winning ways this weekend, as they go into the fourth round of the FAI Junior Cup off the back of a string of 14 wins.They face BT Harps on at 2 o’clock on Sunday following their 9 – nil demolishing of Clodiagh Rangers last weekend.Soccer correspondant Jamie O’Flaherty says the aim for the Saints now is to keep their standards up as no one putting it up to them in South Tipp at the moment. He says the Saints are flying at the moment… Photo: Tipp FM/ Stephen Gleeson
Associated Press Television News WATCH US LIVE First Published: 21st August, 2020 09:55 IST Written By Sam Horsfield began his bid for a third title in four starts on the European Tour by shooting 2-over 73 in the first round of the Wales Open on Thursday, leaving him seven strokes off the lead held by Jordan Smith and Connor Syme.Horsfield won the Hero Open three weeks ago for his first professional title and followed that up with victory at the Celtic Classic on Sunday.Back at the same Celtic Manor course four days later for the latest event in the tour’s U.K. Swing, Horsfield birdied three of his first five holes but then bogeyed four of his next five. He also had a double-bogey 6 at the 15th.Syme tied for third in the Celtic Classic after beginning the final round in the lead and is off to another good start, making seven birdies in total.Four players — Callum Shinkwin of England, Sebastian Soderberg of Sweden, Kurt Kitayama of the United States and Robert MacIntyre of Scotland — were two strokes back in a tie for third place after 68s.Image credits: AP COMMENT SUBSCRIBE TO US LIVE TV Last Updated: 21st August, 2020 09:54 IST Horsfield Makes Slow Start In Bid For 3rd Win In 4 Events Sam Horsfield began his bid for a third title in four starts on the European Tour by shooting 2-over 73 in the first round of the Wales Open on Thursday, leaving him seven strokes off the lead held by Jordan Smith and Connor Syme FOLLOW US
Essential workers were treated to lunches consisting of Jamaican staples including jerk chicken, plantains, rice and peas, fish with festival and a selection of Grace Tropical Rhythms and coconut water. The program was launched out of GK Foods’ acknowledgment of the vital role of grocery store workers in sustainable food supply. Face masks have also been distributed during the eight-week initiative. “Grace does a very good job. We are very proud of our relationship. This is the first time we’ve ever seen anything like this. It brings out the Jamaican in you,” said Elvin ‘Eddie’ Fernandez, Owner of Bravo Supermarket in West Park, Florida, whose team benefitted from the Food Tour. GraceKennedy (GK) Foods USA is this week, winding down its eight-week “With Love from Grace” Appreciation Food Truck Tour, which has seen the company delivering hot lunches to some 2,000 essential workers over some 30 stops in New York and Florida since June. The Grace team also made stops at Walmart, Broward Meat and Fish, Presidente, Bravo, Shoprite, Western Beef and Pathmark Supermarkets across New York and Florida. This was our way of showing our appreciation for the selflessness and courage displayed by grocery store workers in keeping stores open during the COVID-19 pandemic. They have helped millions of people get through the current global crisis without interruption, risking their lives, while maintaining the highest level of quality and service,” said Derrick Reckord, President and CEO of GraceKennedy Foods USA, LLC. “Grace is a family brand, known and loved both at home in Jamaica and internationally. While we have contributed to several relief efforts in cash and kind, we also wanted to ensure that retail partners in our key markets, who work to keep our communities fed, are recognized for the essential service that they provide.
The Confederation of African Football (CAF) has today 30th June, 2020, made the decision to postpone the 2021 Africa Cup of Nations to January/February 2022.Cameroon were set to host the competition in January/February 2021.The decision was taken after CAF’s video conference meeting earlier on Tuesday.The 2020 Championship of African Nations (CHAN) which was originally scheduled for April 2020 in Cameroon has also been shifted to January 2021 while the 2020 Africa Women’s Cup of Nations, set to be hosted by the Republic of Congo in December this year, has been cancelled outright.The postponement and cancellation of events has been necessitated by the outbreak of the coronavirus which forced CAF to suspend all of its competitions including qualifying events earlier in March 2020.CAF’s inter-club competitions, the CAF Champions League and Confederation Cup, which were at the semi final stage when football wa suspended, will also now feature one legged affairs in September and will take place in Cameroon and Morocco respectively.The CAF Champions League semi final and final events (Raja Casablanca vs Zamalek, Wydad Casablanca vs Al Ahly) will take place in Cameroon while the Confederation Cup semis and finals (Pyramids vs Horoya, RS Berkane vs Hassania Agadir ) will take place in Morocco.CAF will also launch the Women’s Champions League competition in 2021 which will feature a CAF inter-club women’s football competition for the first time.The change in dates means there will be two Africa Cup of Nations in consecutive years, with the 2022 AFCON and 2023 AFCON sandwiched by the 2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar.With the qualifying series for AFCON 2022, AFCON 2023, and the World Cup 2022 all yet to be played, African players are set for a busy next 3 years.
Ghana Striker Richmond Boakye Yiadom has set a 12-goal target on his debut season in the Spanish La Liga.The on loan Juventus player at Elche has scored 2 goals in 4 appearances for the newly promoted side.“I have set a target of scoring 12 goals in my first season of playing in a highly competitive league like the Spanish La Liga so I’m working towards achieving that target,” he told Joy sports“I was so happy to have scored against Real Madrid in our 2-1 defeat, the response from my colleagues and the fans at the stadium was great.“It has not been easy playing in the La Liga but I believe I can hit the mark.”Boakye raked in 11 goals last season on loan at Italian side Sassuolo which helped them to qualify to the Serie A.