tirc83/iStock(DALLAS) — Dallas Police Department officials are investigating a possible connection between attacks on three transgender women over the past seven months, and whether they should be deemed hate crimes.All three victims were black, and only one survived.“At this time, the department is actively looking into whether or not these assaults [and] murders have any connection to one another,” Dallas Police Maj. Vincent Weddington said at a press conference Tuesday. “At this time, we have not been able to draw up an affirmative link between these offenses. We’re working to see if there is any link.”The latest victim, Muhlaysia Booker, was found shot to death on a street in northeast Dallas on Saturday morning, according to police.Booker had been assaulted by a group of people in the parking lot of an apartment complex in a separate incident last month. She told police that the beating occurred after a minor traffic accident and that her attackers shouted homophobic and transphobic slurs at her. The incident was captured in a video that was shared widely on social media.Two days later, police arrested Edward Thomas, 29, for his alleged role in the aggravated assault. He was held at the Dallas County Jail and later released on $75,000 bond, according to jail records.A second transgender woman, 29-year-old Brittany White, was shot and killed inside her car in southeast Dallas in October 2018, according to police.Another transgender woman was stabbed multiple times and left to die in April 2019. But she survived the attack and gave detectives a description of the suspect, police said.All three cases remain open investigations. Two of the victims were attacked after getting into a vehicle with someone, while one victim allowed someone into her car, according to police.“These cases, although not directly related at this time, do have similarities the public needs to be made aware of,” Weddington told reporters.The Dallas Police Department is holding a town hall with the city’s LGBTQ community on Thursday evening.In a 2018 assessment of anti-LGBTQ crimes in the United States, the Human Rights Campaign recorded at least 26 violent deaths of individuals who identify as transgender. At least five transgender people have been violently killed across the nation so far this year.Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
Brazil is in the process of evaluating bids for the concession of the Brazilian Army Integrated Anti-aircraft Artillery System Project (SIAAEB), a project that aims to modernize the Brazilian Army’s anti-aircraft artillery resources, both because they have fallen behind with respect to the new technologies that exist and because of the urgency of the large events that the country is organizing, such as the next World Cup and the Olympic Games. According to a complete report by DefesaNet, the project’s scope includes the Anti-aircraft Artillery Batteries, the Anti-aircraft Artillery Groups, and the Coast and Anti-aircraft Artillery School, including the development of military-use equipment for the Army and the national defense industry. On 27 January 2011, a request for information (RFI) was sent to more than thirty firms, both Brazilian and foreign, that manufacture military-use anti-aircraft defense equipment, with a deadline of 30 March for submitting information to the Brazilian Defense Ministry. So, at the end of March and in the first week of April, a request for proposals (RFP) was issued to the selected firms, whose responses are to be submitted at the end of July or the beginning of August and will be analyzed during the month of August. The winners will be announced in September, and the contracts will be assigned in November, according to DefesaNet. Even so, the SIAAEB project seeks to prepare for the international events that Brazil is organizing, the Confederations Cup in 2013, the World Cup in 2014, and the Olympic Games in 2016, as well as to modernize and update the country’s anti-aircraft artillery and cover its gaps through the acquisition of new equipment, the integration of existing platforms, and repairs of existing equipment. Even so, the project is open, depending on the information received in response to the RFI, as well as the expected demand for activity in relation to the mentioned sports events. By Dialogo June 03, 2011
By Dialogo August 16, 2011 The Special Operations Group (GEO) began a training course in shooting techniques and tactics with 9-mm pistols at the Huancavilca Military Fort, a course intended for the officer corps of the Guayas 5th Infantry Brigade. The objective of the exercise is to increase the trainees’ levels of reaction and precision, with a view toward future situations in which they might be required to use their service weapon. The commander of the 5th Brigade, Colonel Arias Monteros, highlighted the importance of the exercise, in that it will improve his men’s skills in the use of this weapon and in response to scenarios such as those of the fight against arms trafficking, drug trafficking, and organized crime. I am a 15 year old young lady, my dreams and aspirations have always been to be a part of the Ecuadorian army. …please help me…
Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini is not about to start taking any notice of Jose Mourinho’s latest mind games after the Portugese coach declared it was now impossible for Chelsea to win the Barclays Premier League. The Blues slumped to a shock 1-0 defeat at Crystal Palace on Saturday afternoon, after which Mourinho claimed his team’s hopes of staying top are over with six matches to go. City, however, failed to take full advantage as they were held to a 1-1 draw at Arsenal in Saturday’s late kick-off. Liverpool moved two points clear of Chelsea after beating Tottenham 4-0 at Anfield on Sunday afternoon – but City’s destiny is still in their own hands, having played a couple of matches less than the sides above them and with a visit to Anfield still to come. Following all the talk of big horses, little horses and the Liverpool Chihuahua earlier in the campaign, Pellegrini has no intentions of embroiling himself in another war of words with anyone. “I don’t think that important managers can give any importance to those mind games, and I don’t know if you think that managers who seem to play mind games are more intelligent, I don’t think so,” the Chilean said. “I do not know what Mourinho said, and I don’t know the way he thinks, “(But) it is not my duty to analyse what Mourinho has said. That is your duty.” Pellegrini is expecting the championship race to go to the wire. “My way of thinking is that the four teams have the same option to win the title,” the City boss said. “It is very close, all the other teams have a few points more, six games more, we have eight games more, we have to win those six points (in hand). “We don’t have six points more, we have two games postponed, it is not the same thing so I think all four teams have the same chances.” Press Association
Tanev, 27, is a versatile, energetic checking-line forward with a decent offensive touch. He should be a good depth addition to the Penguins and his annual average salary ($3.5 million) isn’t bad. The problem, however, is the contract term.Locking up a third liner to a six-year deal rarely happens in today’s salary-cap world. It also creates another conundrum for the Penguins: Restricted free agents Marcus Pettersson, Zach Aston-Reese and Teddy Blueger require new contracts, but Rutherford has a little over $1.5-million in cap space remaining. Another cost-cutting deal is necessary. MORE: Full list of free-agent signings and the best available playersHere’s a look at the best and worst signings from the opening day of the 2019 free-agent period:The BestNashville Predators sign Matt DucheneAfter finishing last season with the league’s worst power play and one of the lowest offenses (19th overall), the Predators required more scoring punch. Kyle Turris’ struggles also spotlighted their need for a reliable second-line center. Signing Duchene to a seven-year, $56-million contract addressed both issues.Duchene, 28, just completed a career-best 31-goal season split between the Ottawa Senators and Columbus Blue Jackets. He was also among the Jackets’ leading scorers in this year’s postseason, with 10 points in as many games.Some observers projected Duchene would received over $9 million annually on the open market. The Preds got him for $1 million less per season.Dallas Stars sign Joe PavelskiPavelski spent his entire NHL career (13 years) with the San Jose Sharks. Their big investment last month in Erik Karlsson left them with little room to re-sign the 34-year-old forward. San Jose’s loss was the Stars’ gain, with Dallas inking the former Sharks captain to a to a three-year, $21-million contract.Coming off a 38-goal performance, Pavelski proved he still has lots left in the tank. He brings invaluable scoring depth and experienced leadership to the Stars roster.While the $7-million annual salary-cap hit seems a bit high for player of his age, it’s off-set by the reasonable three-year term. If Pavelski maintains a 30-goal pace, this should be a worthwhile investment.Chicago Blackhawks sign Robin LehnerThe New York Islanders passing up re-signing Lehner baffled hockey fans. The 27-year-old goaltender enjoyed a career-best performance in 2018-19, winning the Masterton Trophy and becoming a finalist for the Vezina Trophy. He backstopped the Isles into the playoffs and an opening-round sweep of the Pittsburgh Penguins.Blackhawks general manager Stan Bowman wasted little time snapping him up on a one-year, $5-million contract. With long-time starter Corey Crawford hampered by injuries and a year away from UFA status, the Blackhawks needed help between the pipes.Lehner becomes an affordable insurance option if Crawford is sidelined again this season. If he plays well enough, he could earn a lucrative long-term extension from the Blackhawks.The WorstNew York Islanders sign Semyon VarlamovSoon after the Blackhawks inked Lehner, the Islanders announced they signed Varlamov to a four-year, $20-million contract. With 213 wins, a 2.68 goals-against average and a .916 save percentage, the 31-year-old has solid career stats. However, this could prove a risky move.During his tenure with the Colorado Avalanche, Varlamov was plagued by groin and knee injuries. Inconsistency also cost him the starter’s role last season to Philipp Grubauer.Playing for Isles goalie guru Mitch Korn could improve Varlamov’s performance. Sharing the workload with Thomas Greiss might also alleviate the injury concerns. Varlamov could also mentor promising Russian netminder Ilya Sorokin down the road. Nevertheless, the decision to pass on a younger, healthier Vezina finalist for a brittle veteran may one day haunt the Isles.Minnesota Wild sign Mats ZuccarelloThroughout last season, Wild GM Paul Fenton made moves to bring more skilled youth into his aging lineup. However, his signing of Zuccarello to a five-year, $30-million deal was a step in the opposite direction.Zuccarello is a skilled, speedy right wing with five 49-plus point seasons on his resume. Despite a difficult final season with the New York Rangers and suffering a broken arm following a trade to the Dallas Stars, he tied with Tyler Seguin as the Stars’ leading postseason scorer.However, Zuccarello turns 32 in September. He’ll be pushing 37 when this deal with the Wild is completed. As he ages he’ll have difficulty maintaining a 49-point pace. It’s too much money invested for too long in an aging talent.Pittsburgh Penguins sign Brandon TanevPenguins GM Jim Rutherford has spent the off-season shedding salary. He shipped Phil Kessel to the Arizona Coyotes and Olli Maatta to the Chicago Blackhawks in cost-cutting deals. However, signing Tanev to a six-year, $21-million contract raised eyebrows around the league. The annual July 1 start to the NHL free-agent period always produces a frenzy of contract signings, and this year was no different.Some teams made some good moves to shore up their rosters, while others made additions that could be considered risky — or even downright bad.
KANSAS CITY (1-0) at PITTSBURGH (0-0-1)Sunday, 1 p.m. ET, FoxOPENING LINE — Steelers by 4 1/2RECORD VS. SPREAD — Kansas City 1-0, Pittsburgh 0-1SERIES RECORD — Steelers lead 23-11LAST MEETING — Steelers beat Chiefs 19-13, Oct. 15, 2017LAST WEEK — Chiefs beat Chargers 38-28; Steelers tied Browns 21-21AP PRO32 RANKING — Chiefs No. 7, Steelers No. 11CHIEFS OFFENSE — OVERALL (13), RUSH (20), PASS (11).CHIEFS DEFENSE — OVERALL (32), RUSH (22), PASS (31).STEELERS OFFENSE — OVERALL (4), RUSH (5), PASS (5).STEELERS DEFENSE — OVERALL (12), RUSH (31), PASS (6).STREAKS, STATS AND NOTES — Steelers won seven of last eight vs. Chiefs. Pittsburgh victory in Kansas City last October kick-started eight-game winning streak. … Chiefs winless in Pittsburgh since 1986 (0-6); Steelers 15-2 in home openers at Heinz Field. … Kansas City QB Patrick Mahomes threw four TDs in opening win in Los Angeles. Only third time in team history QB passed for four scores in opener. …. … Chiefs WR/PR Tyreek Hill had 58-yard TD reception and 91-yard punt return for score in San Diego. Hill is third player in NHL history with 50-plus yard TD catch and 90-plus yard punt return TD in same game. … Hill’s 13 touchdowns of 50-plus yards tied for most in player’s first 35 games in NFL history. … Kansas City RB Kareem Hunt leads NFL with 1,376 yards rushing since start of 2017 season. … Chiefs LB Dee Ford had one sack vs. Chargers. Veteran missed 10 games in 2017 due to back injury. … Pittsburgh’s tie in Cleveland was franchise’s third since 1970 and first since 2002 … Steelers turned over ball six times vs. Browns. QB Ben Roethlisberger was responsible for five (three interceptions, two fumbles). … Steelers without 2017 All-Pro RB Le’Veon Bell. Bell still has not signed one-year franchise tender. … Pittsburgh led NFL with 57 sacks in 2017. Steelers sacked Cleveland’s Tyrod Taylor seven times in 2018 opener, three sacks by second-year LB J.J. Watt. … Steelers only team with 300-yard passer (Roethlisberger), 100-yard rusher (James Conner) and 100-yard receiver (JuJu Smith-Schuster) in Week 1. … Roethlisberger slowed by right elbow injury during week but expected to play in his 202nd game (second most in franchise history). … Fantasy tip: Roethlisberger’s had his way with Chiefs — 15-year veteran is 7-1 all-time against Kansas City with 14 TDs against four picks. His QB rating when facing Chiefs (115.8) is highest among AFC opponents.___More AP NFL: https://apnews.com/tag/NFL and https://twitter.com/AP_NFL STEELERS RUNNING BACK JAMES CONNER, in his first career start, scored two rushing touchdowns against the Browns, Sept. 9, at FirstEnergy Stadium. But his fumble in the fourth quarter sparked the Browns’ comeback in an eventual 21-21 tie. (Photo by Courier photographer Thomas Sabol)